Are you planning to bring your car with you when you move across the state in Australia? When moving, it makes more sense and is easier to just hire a company that offers car transport Australia, ship your things, and fly compared to driving your car all the way to the new place across the border. If you choose to do the former to avoid the hassle, it’s important to figure out what to do to have your car and other items shipped — how to find a reliable interstate car transport company, the factors that influence the car transport quote, and other things related to car shipping.
If you’re planning to relocate and are lost on what to do to get your car shipped to the new address, we gather everything that you must figure out to move your car from one state to another, along with some helpful tips to make sure the process goes off without a hitch.
How to Find a Car Transport Australia
When you decide to have your car transported to your new address in another state, the first thing that you have to do is to find a reliable car transport Australia. There are a lot of companies that offer budget car transport interstate and you might be tempted to hire them right away without checking their track record yet in an attempt to save a couple of bucks, but please don’t. Always do your research and compare the benefits that these companies can offer.
When you have already shortlisted them, you can then choose one based on the company’s availability, capability to cater to your vehicle shipping needs, and most importantly, your budget. However, you have to look out for three things in a company that offers a car transport interstate service. They should:
- Have a license to operate
- Be insured for your items to be safe
- Impeccable track record based on reviews
Start your research by narrowing down the list of car transport companies that meet all of the above-mentioned criteria. If you’re looking for a cheap yet reliable one, you can request a quote from each moving company for their vehicle moving services to get the best deal. You should get at least three quotes from different car shipping express companies so you can compare the prices.
Factors that Affect the Total Cost of Motor Vehicle Shipping
As a customer, you need to know the factors that affect the total cost of the car you’re shipping. Below are some of them:
- The weight and actual size of your vehicle. The bigger and more massive the car, the more it’s going to be pricey to move.
- The distance from the old address to the new one. Apparently, the farther the travel distance, the higher the cost as you have to pay for tolls, fuel charges, and additional labor crew.
- The make and model of your car. If you’re shipping a luxury car or a vehicle with a sensitive motor, expect to pay a lot more as it requires special attention and care.
- The type of carrier you choose. You can opt for an enclosed or open vehicle carrier. You’ll get to learn more about that below.
- An integral additional cost that you need to be aware of — insurance. All legit companies that offer a vehicle transport service are required by law to be insured. However, they may not be up to par with what you’ll need. Therefore, consider the option of getting additional insurance to rest easy while you know that your car is protected when something happens during shipping.
The Difference Between Enclosed and Open Air Transport
One of the biggest factors in the total cost of a car shipping express service is the type of transport method to use — an open air carrier or an enclosed one. As a customer, you need to be aware of the difference between the two.
Open-air carriers – This is one of the most common types of vehicle shipping methods. As a matter of fact, you can see this often on the road. This type of carrier is readily available anytime which is also why this is cheaper than its counterpart. Normally, this carrier type holds about nine to ten cars in one place on two distinct levels. The cars are safely strapped to the base so they don’t move around during transport. The main advantage of using this method is its visibility, which means that if ever the car is damaged, the driver will notice any signs as soon as possible.
Enclosed carriers – If you want to fully protect your vehicle in the shipping process, you would likely opt for this shipping carrier instead of an open one. Just expect to pay a little extra as this will surely cost more. Although there is a price hike, you will get a fair amount of advantages too. These benefits include your car getting protected from outside elements like harsh weather conditions. This also provides tighter security and there are only around three to five vehicles inside the carrier during transport, which is better if you want to get your car back in a short period of time.
Getting Your Car Ready Before the Shipping Date
Although the auto shipping company you hired will go over the basics in ensuring your car is safe during transport, you should still do some preparations before your car hits the road. This ensures that the transport process goes off without a hitch. You should:
- Check the fuel gauge of the car and make sure that it has enough.
- Empty your car. Remove all your belongings inside including those that don’t add much weight. The transport company you hired may require you to do so or set a weight limit that you need to follow, but even if they don’t, it is your responsibility to empty it to avoid loss and damage.
- Check the tires of the car and make sure they’re inflated and can be used during transport.
- Charge the battery of your car.
Remember if ever in need of international shipping services Wisemove is available online.